Thursday, April 14, 2011

Get motivated seminar

Today, I attended the Get Motivated Seminar in Grand Rapids. Being a teacher and a coach, I was looking to get some information that I can use to help my students and athletes to become the individuals I know they can be. Though the seminar was directed more towards businesses and employees, I was able to gain some information I plan to use in my career, as well as information I can use for myself. The seminar was absolutely worth going to for me, and I really enjoyed the speakers.

I work at a middle school right now in their RTC room, Responsible Thinking Center. Sometimes there are students sent to me who just need to finish or catch up on work, sometimes they just had a moment where they didn't react they way they should have. Mostly, the students sent down to me are the students who have the biggest problems as far as being disrespectful, argumentative, or breaking their behavior contracts. With that being said, my job is not to just sit there and make sure they do their work and not talk, at least not to me. I am there to help them figure out what's going on with their attitudes, why they're being disrespectful, not doing their homework, etc. From there, I have to find ways to help them change. Sometimes it's their group of "friends," something going on at home, or they just want attention.

From the beginning it sounds like an easy job, but it's much more difficult dealing with students who have NO respect and really do not care. They show a lack of respect not just towards other students, teachers and staff members, but mostly they're disrespecting themselves and their family. They don't care to be at school at all because they don't like the other students, don't like the school, or don't like the teachers. I work hard to talk with them when I can and talk with them about what they want to do when they get older, whether it's high school, college, or beyond, and talk to them about how they can achieve their goal(s). It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it

No comments:

Post a Comment